Thursday, September 4, 2008

Stereotypes

I am still working, of course - and planning to continue for another three years, I think, unless something unforeseen occurs. I feel like the "resident elderwoman" on my job, and have, I think, developed a reputation for quirkiness, always ready to share my own diverse views (especially in disagreement with "the team") and perhaps am fairly well respected for some degree of intelligence and wisdom (there ARE some benefits to aging.) There are a lot of younger people employed here in various and sundry capacities, some of whom I encounter on a fairly regular basis in the employee lunchroom where we all chat about this and that. Now, I should explain that outside of work, my DH and I are woodsy sorts who enjoy hiking about, climbing a rock or two here and there, and meeting up, two or three times a year with our many and varied group of friends at a woodland retreat up in the White Mountains of northern New Hampshire for long weekends (and sometimes, when everything aligns perfectly, entire weeks) of philosophical discussion and tree-hugging. Having said that, I work in an environment that requires professional dress and since it's required anyway, I tend to maintain a fairly decent "professional" wardrobe. So, yesterday at lunch, I happened to be sitting next to our young IT technician - an affable fellow in his mid-twenties, whom I've always enjoyed chatting with. I mentioned that my DH and I would be taking our granddaughter (age 7) to the apple orchards in another few weeks, and that I would once again (as I am every year) be expected to climb to the very tops of certain trees in order to pick the big, "perfect" apples that hang high above where they typically don't get picked and end up finally falling to the ground and smushed towards the end of the season. Lawrence (the IT tech) laughed and said "Riiiiiiiiiiight. You're going to climb apple trees. Sure." I. of course, was shocked at his disbelief and asked him whyever I shouldn't climb an apple tree if I wanted to. He looked a little uncomfortable, squirmed a bit in his chair, and finally replied, "You just don't look like the tree-climbing type!" Oh, I retorted, and why is that? Too elderly to haul my carcass up a tree, eh? "Oh no", he quickly replied, "You're just not my idea of someone who would be out climbing trees, is all. I mean, look at what you're wearing." Well, duh! No, I don't climb trees in my office clothes, but this wasn't about what I was wearing so much as it was about what younger people in our society expect of us older folk. I suppose it would fit his image more comfortably if I were to say that once I get home every night, I quickly don a grandmotherly housedress and apron and start stirring the stewpot. Well, I stir plenty of stewpots, but rarely in housedress and apron - more likely in jeans or sweats. Oh, I'm not offended in the slightest - it just took me by surprise, because despite my advanced years, I still think of myself as capable of doing pretty much whatever I want to do. Including climbing apple trees. It's interesting that others may see me as "too old" to do such things.

1 comment:

RubyJean said...

Zoe, Lawrence is just a young puppy. What does he know about how much a woman (at any age, in any dress) can do?
Love,
Ruby